HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL OR JUST HAD A HOME-BIRTH, NOW WHAT?
Postpartum Doulas are knowledgeable professionals with a supportive presence in your home while assisting families during the critical period immediately after the birth of their baby(s). This is a major time of transition for you, your body, and the whole family.
Postpartum doulas “ Mother the Mother” providing evidence-based information on things such as infant feeding, emotional and physical recovery from birth, mother- baby bonding, infant soothing, basic newborn care, breastfeeding and more.
A postpartum Doula provides customized support tailored and unique to each family and their needs in the comfort of your own home. We are there to help a new family in those first days, weeks or months after bringing home your new baby(s).
The support will allow you to heal, adjust and embrace the newborn period as an extended part of the birthing process. Research shows that moms, dads and babies have an easier time with the transition when a good support team is in place.
WHY HIRE A POSTPARTUM DOULA?
The transition of welcoming a new baby(s) into your family can be both physically and mentally draining, especially due to sleep deprivation and uncertainty about the care of your newborn. Therefore there are many advantages to hiring a postpartum doula including:
- Increased breastfeeding success
- Decreased chance of postpartum depression
- Decreased infant and mental health complications due to informed care
- Decreased maternal exhaustion, frustration, and apprehension
- Increased and earlier bonding with newborn
- Happier baby due to a greater understanding of your infants emotional and physical needs and behaviour.
WHAT CAN A POSTPARTUM DOULA DO FOR ME?
- Extra support and caring hands
- Breastfeeding support and education
- Infant feeding/formula preparation
- Newborn care instruction
- Soothing techniques
- Cord & circumcision care
- Help you initiate a routine with your baby(s)
- Emotional and physical recovery after birth
- Sibling care
- Shopping and errand running
- Laundry (baby)
- Encourage the family to make parenting choices that reflect their values and needs
- Encourage informed decision making
- Educate families how to maximize age appropriate infant sleep